Light and fluffy birthday buns.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 20m
- Total Time: 2h
- 50 grams yeast
- 200 milliliters milk
- 2 eggs - large or medium
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 500 grams flour (evt. pizza flour or high protein flour)
- 125 grams soft butter
- a bit of oil for the bowl and dough
- Dissolve the yeast in cold milk.
- Whisk in the eggs and add sugar and cardamom
- Add about half the flour. Stir it thoroughly to activate the yeast and add salt
- Add butter and kneed in enough flour to stop the dough from sticking to the table.
- Add 1 table spoon of oil into a bowl. Turn the dough around in the bowl to coat it in oil. Cover the bowl and let it rest till it has doubled in size (about 40-60 min)
- Flour the table top and pour the dough out on it. Knead it lightly.
- Divide the dough in 4. Roll each piece into a sausage and divide each into 5 pieces. So you end up with 20 buns.
- Shape each piece into a bun
- Rest the buns again on baking trays until the double in size. Glaze them with egg or water.
- While they rest - turn on the oven at 220 C / 430 F
- Place the buns in the lower part of the oven. Splash in 2 dl of cold water into the hot oven: this will create steam.
- Close the oven quickly and bake them for 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 200 C / 400 F and make them till they are finished (a few more minutes)