My mom’s version of a goulash stew.
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 3h
- Total Time: 3h 20m
- 500 grams beef (almost all cuts work - I often use a cheep roast)
- 1 small can tomato paste (70 g)
- 200 grams coarsely chopped onion
- 35 grams butter
- 600 grams raw potatoes diced
- 1 liter beef broth
- 2 diced red peppers (optional)
- 100 grams garlic cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons good paprika (not the old stuff off the shelf) optimally edelsüss paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- Crème fraîche (Sour cream)
- Brown meat and onions in the butter in the pot you want to make goulash in.
- Pour broth in and add the other ingredients except potatoes and cream cheese.
- Let it cook. If you used a cheap cut so simmer until meat is tender - I will often let it cook all afternoon. If you have used expensive tender goulash meat should be ok to just cook the meat with potatoes - the meat will be tender.
- When the meat is tender add potatoes and cream cheese and season to taste with salt, pepper and more paprika - it should be spicy. It should take about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Server your goulash with lots of crème fraîche and flute - any delicious French baguettes. I think beer works really well with this.